Thursday, December 02, 2010

Goodness not Just Goodies, It is too Good.


Whenever an item slipped through my hand, instantly I tried my best to keep my precious pair of foot out of the firing line. While doing so, value of the article never bothered me. This is how my psychology works, not aftermaths but the self-defense will be my first priority. Under given circumstances definitely I will try to save myself without concerning about others trapped in the same situation, a candid assessment about my nature. More than once, sensed a final call that passed whispering by my ear but I survived and yet I never stopped doing things that may danger to my life, I often called a daredevil by friends (oops! too much). A daredevil indeed, if tested I will value my life before others, because I am not a saint. Talking about saints, have no idea, because I never encountered any, but there are some peoples exists, who place others before his or her own.

It is strange; piece of recent news brings back old memories and started disturbing me. It is not a personal but regarding the peoples whom I may know or may not, left a mark that unforgettable. Their dedication, gesture and do or die attitude is what all about.

This piece of news appeared in last Sunday, Mr. D. N. Moitra, the Motorman on duty to Pashkura bound local train and how he guided the train to the destination before he died. Due to the similarity, my memory took me back to an incident that occurred more than two decades ago.

I knew two beautiful sisters, soft-spoken and well mannered and both having an initial ‘A’. They are Roman Catholic either from Goa or from Managalore. Both were teaching to the senior students in a Convent school in Mumbai suburb. I was friendly with many other teachers from that school through my close friend and then my Christian neighbour who was also a teacher at same place. The school situated very close to one of the Mumbai’s very famous suburban station and beside the railway tracks. Some time in late-eighties both the sisters got married. Elder one married and left the school, younger sister married to a nice boy who was a Motorman with Mumbai suburban train services. There was a nice little gossip circulated among the teachers and as well as between the students too, while passing by the school, he used to blow the horn a few times to make a passing signal for his wife. During that time, I left for aboard and returned after two years. I was meeting one of my old friend, who informed me that the husband of younger sister died. I was shocked and it was more shocking that he died due to heart attack. He was young and well below thirty. More than that, my friend told me that he suffered while in duty; before he collapsed, he guided the train to the nearby station. After that incident, she left the school but I do not intend to invade her privacy any further. It was a painful piece of news and took many days to overcome it.

Almost forgotten incident came back to my mind last Sunday while reading the newspaper. It is rerun of above incident but this time it was in West Bengal. Time span between two incidents is more than two decades and if younger fellow survived until now, he would have been still younger than Mr. Moitra and most probably still running those packed Mumbai suburban trains and whistling past his wife’s working place to acknowledge his presence. I am not saying that the age is a factor to evaluate a person’s need in the society.

The current situation, technology is far more advance, therefore, if Mr. Moitra decided to stop the train midway, train would never met with an accident but he decided to carry on. In other situation, with overcrowded train equally crammed tracks, no, completely unaware about the old technology so do not want to comment further.

Over the years, earth lost its all charm, blame it on inhabitant. Drastic changes taken place for worst regarding everything, environment, climate, peoples and people’s attitude. We look around to find scams and scamsters, devils and devilish acts, everyone working for personal gain. Irritated and forced to forget the nice aspects but there are a few peoples who often come out from the blue to remind us about the beautiful quality of human that still breathing.

I always enjoy the goodness, there are nice things still happening then why to explore the dark. Celebrating the rare integrity and feeling good, even without achieving anything only by my sheer luck I am in the same package.

!!!A drop of light in darkness look brighter, a few good fellas among score of evils still make the earth a good place to live on. Positive? Of-course!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment