Thursday, November 25, 2010

In Soup with Superstition


One day while going to my office, there was my friend from Goa, who is a Christian and having a Master degree from University of Mumbai, advised me not to step on a lemon that was lying on the road. She cautioned me that the lemon was left by someone and something to do with the black magic. If I go by the numerous advises then I should confined myself in the four walls of mine.

The Superstition, why it is called so? It should be other way round because there is no greatness surrounded it. World is bonding well over this, no conflict, east and west walks with arm in arm. If you go by definition of superstition then it is something like this - A belief in something not justified by reason or evidence and an irrational fear of the unknown or mysterious.

This small incident is a piece from my own past. One bright morning when I was going to my office, a black cat crossed my way, left to right across the road. It was disturbing, blame on my orthodox upbringing and others beliefs. Still I carried on and boarded the train, forgot the incident immediately when I met all known smiling faces in the train. Thereafter a long hard day in office also denied my memory to recover but once I returned my home and then there I remembered the cat. I tried and tried hard to find a thing that would gave me a chance to raise my finger towards the cat but found none. After lots of thinking, I concluded ‘poor cat, most probably had a very miserable day’.

In Kolkata, when people find themselves in same situation that one is similar to mine, stop instantly and wait for someone else to cross the road before them, the process often cause great inconvenience to the traffic. Therefore, many times car stopped abruptly on the middle of the road without giving any signal and obviously result is, an accident, blame it on your foolish acts but not on the cat.

Most of the time it is the fantasists, who dreams to reach at the top without a sweat or having an immoral intention to harm someone else to settle a thing, so, these sort of peoples start believing all sort weird things. It is all about the mind-scape of a person who is definitely mentally very weak or depended. These natures of human being easily exploited by the peoples those are in the business for making fool and make money. Recently one of my students duped in same manner, I do not know should laugh at him or feel pity. You can  find them at every corner of the world, flaunting ten rings with various kinds of precious stones around their fingers along with many other accessories that match their foolish belief.

The stories behind superstitions always are not a funny one, on the contrary most of the time it is very gory. Animal slaughtered for same cause and why animal human life too sacrificed for some assumption related a shear personal gain.

The picture in USA, Europe and Africa is no better. Witch-hunt, black magic is regular process in the countries of those continents too.

!!!Life is beautiful, enjoy it, but only if you possess a fearless mind!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment