Thursday, March 04, 2010

Glee, Music, Dance and of course lots of Colours, Don't Mind Yaar, it's Holi!

At present my beloved winter standing at its twilight, out of my window I can see the cold breezes are vanishing thick and fast. Feeling very down, as it is time to say good-bye to the most loved ones, I mean winter.  Only hope that it may strike back with all its charms within another eight months. Already fans are swinging in full force and waiting for the dreaded summer. This is spring; nothing special than the beautiful flowers blooming in everybody’s garden and can hear the sweet singing of shrewd Cuckoos. It is also time for spring harvest. In our country, this is Phagun and in Kolkata, month of Phalgun, only thing we can remember in Phagun is HOLI. This one of such festival which simply standout form all other festivals of our country. It is celebrated just on the next day of Phagun Full Moon.

Holi means riot of colours. This is only festival celebrated uniform way all over India by putting little regional flavour. There are many believe regarding the origination of this festival. Many believe that Holi mainly originated from Vrindaban where festival of colour played between Radha-Krishna. Women, especially, enjoy the freedom of relaxed rules and sometimes join in the fun more aggressively. In Rajasthan what I know that women having full permission to flog the men, at least once in whole year its work opposite direction. Even it has done with a playful intention; still flogging anybody is most inhuman thing to do.

The Holi Bonfire, another nostalgic thing related with the Holi. The origin of the traditional lighting of Holi Bonfire is attributed to the burning of Holika, the sister of demon, Hiranyakashipu, while trying to kill, Bhakta Prahlad. Holi Bonfire takes me back to Kolkata in my early days. Once I collected a few woods from our garden all by myself to the near by pond, which adjoined to our house, after I lighted, all new flower in our Mango tree destroyed instantly, the bonfire after that incident, please do not force me to tell you.

Apart from my early days I was never very much active in this festival even I liked it very much. In Kolkata there were many innovative things used to happen when I was staying there. We used to make phichkari using Bamboo and made natural water colour by boiling Palash Flower (Flame of the Forest). While staying in I.I.T. neighbours banged my door regular interval, only on this particular day my door always remain closed for my neighbours. The brave door took all the beating year after year, tolerates all anger and irritation of my neighbours on behalf of me, and never gave up.

Most funny thing about Holi is that people move around with their multi-colour faces with this slogan“Holi Hai”, seems it is the most secret thing to share with everybody. Even over the years, I have not taken part in this festival, still among all Indian festival this is the best and standout from others. Why? To enjoy this festival you just need -

!!!Five Rupees in Your Pocket and a Pair of Old Torn Outfits, Come on Guys! You are Rich Too.!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment