Thursday, January 14, 2010

Two beautiful words of Sonali Dasgupta Rossellini and A tribute to her son Gil Rossellini

Watching a documentary film is a rare thing for most of us. I can say that accidentally it has happened to me, when I saw ‘Kill Gill Vol-1’ sometime around 2006. It was a documentary of different kind, where filmmaker Gil Rossellini was telling his own story and experiences following a freak bacterial infection in late 2004 that has left him a paraplegic. It was all about his survival story and his fight with the staphylococcus bacteria. It was just awesome and moving. While surfing the net to know more about the documentary and the virus itself, I also came to know about his Indian connection that too was also very interesting one. Last week almost after more than a year of his death I stumbled to Cory O’Conner article ‘Rest in piece’, I was shocked and also surprised that a news buff like me, how missed out the news of his sad demise, then I remember the time Gil Rossellini died I was moving all-around Madhya Pradesh. I just ignored all the 20 newspaper left in front of my doorstep in my absence. Reading Cory O’Conner article, gives me the idea of other quality of the great man. I will pick a drop from Tagore Ocean to pay little tribute to his heavenly soul
Amar mukti alloy alloy ei akashe
Amar mukti dhulay dhulay ghase ghase
Amar mukti sarbajaner maner majheDuhkha-bipad tuchha kara kathin kaje
[My deliverance is in the lighted firmament, in every dust particle and in every grass of the earth. My salvation is in the universal mind and in my exertions defying all dangers and disappointments].
Finding a documentary film in CDs or DVDs is rare thing in India. I like to get hold of other two volumes also. Therefore, I am looking forward to another two of the same series ‘Kill Gill Vol-2’ and ‘Kill Gill Vol-2½ ’.

While paying tribute to an extraordinary son I also like to write a few words about his wonderful mother, most probably now she is living in some other part of the globe. Her dignity in silence is incomparable. Her resume is so outstanding and exceptional one:

- An alumni of Santiniketan, and may be studied in the presence of Tagore himself, the period which was also known as Bengal’s own renaissance. In Santiniketan she was also having some other distinguish alumni too and one of them was Indira Gandhi. Among many other qualities, she was a quality writer herself too.

In my whole life, I never saw anybody carrying a sari as she has done and that too in a land where six yards were alien. Even somebody somewhere described her –In those saris, she used to look likes deity. However, I am writing it only because I was awestruck by her two-word answer to a question asked by someone - Where and how did you acquire such a serene detachment?
Her answer was - I’m Indian.
This is it, what makes me sit up and read it repeatedly, because
!!! No matter wherever I was, I am and I will be, always an Indian, born as one and will die as same.!!!

3 comments:

  1. From articles published about her in various news medias Sonali dasgupta betrayed her trusting loving husband.She eloped with Roberto Rossellini leaving behind her trusting husband,6yr old son and family on both sides.She lived with Roberto without legally married wife's status for 16 yrsand then Roberto left her for younger woman.I think she could not come back for permanent settlement in India and face humiliation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, too late to reply, but do you know Harishadahn Dasgupta wanted to work with Roberto, and he took his wife, or can we say wanted to use her. Your view shows the same as all patriarchal views. Be wise and read the details before making a point.

      Delete