Thursday, November 05, 2009

Tried and tested! Blessed? result is unknown

When we give a thing to someone, we can not forget, mostly because we expect something in return, very mean of us, but it is reality. Relishing the joy of unconditional giving is a rare thing in our life.

Few times in my life I had the feeling that someone came out from the blue to ask for a little thing which was worthless to me and still left an aura that can not be forgotten. Among many a few instances which still is sinking in me.

I go back to my old home in Kolkata and with my mother, a woman with lots of human qualities; sadly I never inherit a drop of it. I was then seven or odd years old. Tuesday was the day when this old man was our guest from nowhere. I never saw him going to any other neighbours house. My mother used to feed him like a guest, even sometime she prepared an extra item for him. This routine gone through for may be seven or eight months. My mother also promised him a new pair clothes during that year Durga Puja. One day my cousin sister (daughter of my father elder sister) came form Jamshedpur. During this time on that particular Tuesday, while going to bath mother asked my Didi to serve the fellow if he come in between, and it’s happened, best of her understanding she served the leftover food from previous night. My mother’s precious guest left without touching the food and he never came back. Many years after that, I often found my mother regretting for the mistake she committed.

Mid eighties I was accompanying a friend for an interview. I rather say that the three generation of that family she belongs were my friends, specially her aunty who was a very dear friend to me through my thick and thins and a few months back I lost her for forever. All three sisters too were dear friends to me and like sisters to me too. The office was somewhere in Flora Fountain. When we are waiting in the reception may be six or eight people together, a Parsi old lady came in through the glass door, clad in half sleeve printed shirt and a matching printed pajama, directly came up to me and demanded, you can say just ordered me – “Give me five rupees, I am hungry”, in mid eighties five rupees worth a bit, but I felt like commanded, tried to find a five rupees note and handed over to her. Without uttering a word she left the way she came in. Strange thing was that you will never find a Parsi asking like that, because Parsis are well placed and taken care off.

Mid nineties I was going to meet someone, in Mumbai if I was alone, I never walked, either ran or something between walk and run. An old lady just coming from opposite side and opposite footpath, frail, very fair, wearing a Maharashtrian style sari (nine yards), toothless, smiled at me, a beauty, to give a beautiful smile you have to have something inside rather than a beautiful face with set of 32 fit for advertising, at the same time you just have the heart to feel it. I thought she was known to me so I smiled back. With great difficulties she crossed the road and came to me. Finally she showed me a few stuff and asked me to buy, those things were just worthless to me still I gave her a smile and said ‘well I will take it’. After I paid her she put her frail hand on my head and softly said ‘bala’ (child) and she moved away. A strange feeling pass through whole body and her small blessing made me speechless. I stood there and watched her still I can. An unconditional blessing is such a thing; bring out a small child in you.

My mother remembered her guest all her life because she made a mistake and I remember them may be thinking for some returns.

!!!Yes! Remember them all for the little thing I gave them, that was worthless to me and in return waiting for their blessing, which invaluable, a very mean minded BeeeBeees.!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment