Thursday, October 29, 2009

Faint Memories of Master Moshai

Old days a male teacher in Bengal always called Master Moshai, Moshai means Mahashai to show respect. I am writing about the teacher who is now faceless, only a dhoti-kurta clad frail and tall frame what I can remember. Often my elder brother asks me how I can remember all those old stuff, frankly speaking - I do not know. When this incident took place, I was may be five or six years old, so hardly can remember the characters related to my topic. The Sir, used to come to teach us, me and my two elder brothers, one almost 10 years older than me and other 5 years as my father was away and it was difficult for women in the house to handle with our studies. At that time, Sir may be at his late forties. My granny, a very wise and intelligent woman, respected by many as well as by Sir too. Therefore, after teaching he often used to spend a quality time gossiping about politics and other thing.

Sir was a headmaster of a local primary school where we were putting at that time. After death of his first wife, he married again. He was having a daughter from previous wife and may be two more (not sure) from second. The daughter was same age of my elder brother and often used to come to our house for some books or notes. My mother and grandmother both loved her very much. Every one in the locality also aware, that the stepmother tortured the girl regularly. Sir, himself was very soft and respected person, and may be a helpless father. At that, time teachers never paid a handsome salary and to keep his household running was a big trouble for him.

On that fateful night, around eight Sir’s wife came to our house, looking for the daughter. My grandmother and mother was surprised and said promptly that the girl hardly move out from her house at daytime, how can she stepped out at night.

Next morning her body was found in a near by pond. My grand mother never allowed us to move out and rush to the spot.

After lots of legal proceeding, finally some help from local people Master Moshai left his job and move out from the locality. We missed him very much.

After few years while living in Jammy (Jamshedpur), I was finally able to understand the story that was going around the locality at that time. The little story which was household hot topic, was all about that fateful night -

When that night Master Moshai returned home, the girl was having her meal and as usual, the wife started complaining about all sort of thing, which the poor girl may be never have done, and in a fit of rage, tired Master Moshai kicked the girl, she died instantly.

Hope above story was just a story but if it is true then I wonder how a woman can act such a beastly manner towards another. The faceless and nameless (I can still get it from my brother but let it be) Master Moshai whom we respected, do not know how he able to carried with his life after that. My heart still bleeds for the girl and Master Moshai too.

!!!Are all good people goes through more grinds and suffering? I am not in a position to justify this theory, because I am an ordinary and average (may be horrible at a time?) person.!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment