Friday, October 02, 2009

Good, Bad or Evil, who are the judges?

Dussera or Bijoya Dasami means the end of Durga Puja. Arguably, the most important of all religious festivals for Hindus is Dussera (or Durga Puja).

In Mumbai, good wishes expressed on Dussera day to each other with exchanging a few leaf of Kanchan flower (Sona). When I was in Mumbai and often used to visit Kolkata on Dussera, I used to joke to my folks about how in Mumbai we get lots of Sona (Gold) as Dussera gift.

Dussera celebrated all over India and in my home town Kolkata it is almost week long celebration. Two customs here, which make me sick One, is touching feet of every elderly person, this is a very bad way showing your respect, if I want to show respect to somebody it should be my attitude towards the person and not just touching feet. I get very angry with anybody who tries doing it with me; I consider myself a very simple human being. Other thing is plate-full sweet, while writing this piece even thinking of sweet giving me a nausea feeling. Things change with the age, as a child always used to look forward to this week.

However, when I am writing about Dussera, this little theory is not acceptable by me-
Dussera celebrates the victory of good over evil. Who is good, Bad or Evil? Evil Ravana? Why?

For your kind information, Ravana was a great scholar, a capable ruler, Veena Player and a devoted follower of Shiva, and he has his apologists and staunch devotees within the Hindu traditions.
If I am hurting the Hindu sentiment, I am sorry. I am a rebel and I will be always one. For one mistake our so-called society burning Ravana every year with so much fanfare. Why not Yudhisthir? A desperate gambler put Draupadi at stake in a game of dice. Male chauvinism put a helpless woman at the mercy of crooks like Kauravas.

After all, what Ram did for Sita? Sita was forced into exile in an unknown forest; she was not only alone this time but also pregnant.
Why not all those who are exploiting woman for their own lust. The list will get bigger with some of those politicians, bigwigs and many others. Some time back one of student was narrating me a little story about the girls in orphanage and how those poor girls are used.

For me Ravana is an unsung hero. Of course, Ravana made mistakes, kidnapping Sita for nothing and just forgot his duties. I am going to finish from a piece of Kabir Doha
Tomorrows work do today, today's work now / if the moment is lost, the work be done how
Kaal Kare So Aaj Kar, Aaj Kare So aab / Pal Mein Pralaya Hoyegi, Bahuri Karoge Kab
!!!My mantra is - Why to keep today's work for now, should have finished by yesterday. !!!

No comments:

Post a Comment