Thursday, March 24, 2011

Now it is Child's play too!


It is very natural for me to be distressed by various kind of disturbing news. I hardly looked like an emotional or sentimental person because I never share my emotion with others. It happened to me many times and again, this news had the same effect on me. I tried my best to overlook by getting busy with other concerning matter, I was successful in my attempt but again forced to draw into it by Bachi Karkaria’s column in Times of India with this heading ‘when children hang themselves all our necks in the noose’. It is not another blog, feeling like as if I lost a near one, wish I was there to counsel her at that hour. Ms. Karkaria was right, soon I read it I touched my throat without my knowledge, felt suffocated. This blog is a way of talking as well as trying to counsel myself.

This time it was the news regarding the suicide of Sayoni Chatterjee, eleven years girl from Mumbai, disturbed me a lot . When her mother found that she and one of her classmate was exchanging notes, she decided to call it quit. Pity to see the note of an innocent child of eleven in her school notebook, where she wrote a big sorry to the boy in concern. Cannot imagine an eleven years girl hanging herself by a fan to ends her life for such a small matter. 

Whom to blame? May be neither the parents and nor the child. We cannot think beyond our times and it is natural for a mother to get worried about her daughter. In this era of satellite televisions, mobiles and internet, children are more mature yet stressed. The media is no less than a culprit in such case, in recent past the hype they created around the Valentine Day and sometime their breaking news are only consists story related personal lifestyle of glamour world.

Most of the stress comes from schools, current education systems and from the parents too. When something happened like this, everyone woke up then after a short period slowly and steadily all were buried, as if we opened Pandora’s Box and closed it soon by not reading a single note.

A child in my house of same age and goes to a very reputed school, one of the Asia’s largest that having twelve thousands students, school puts lots of pressure on the child and we too falls in that line, a child often goes between a double edges knife.Parents have to learn from this, not all children can be treated in same manner. The sentimental level of each child is different. On that fateful day, she left a few notes in her school notebook that she exchanged with the boy. When the boy wanted to know if her mother going to tell the teacher, her reply was an emphatic NO. Same afternoon she found her mother in the school corridor, she betrayed by her own belief and she decided to go back home and thereafter, to a long journey all alone. 

Excuse, it is not a piece of advice, because at this hour, nobody can even feel the pain and grieve the parent is in. It is very easy to kill a process but not the feeling. At eleven, a little more fondness towards a classmate of opposite sex is not an affair. I don’t understand when it is normal for the same sex then why it is a crime for other case. What was needed at that hour was,  both the families sat down together along with the kids, had a friendly chat to tell them to put another few years to their age to understand such relationship but we are Indian. We eager to upgrade our lifestyle but failed to upgrade our idea, specially concerning the children, in this case we always stick to the famous ‘OUR TIME’. 

Coming to the maturity and generation gap, not today, always it was there. What I got from my mother during different stages of my life my mother never got that and what my mother got from her mother, she was denied the same in her days. Yet, the mistake once we committed, we don’t want the younger one to fall prey but unaccounted time we bullied them too. We liked to shower whatever we can, it is our choice but then ends up blackmailing the children.

Time-line is unknown but it is certain that one day I will travel to the other side of the world. When I am going to meet you, Sayoni, you will be little older than me. Yet, I will like to tell you, girl, you made a mistake. It was you mother, who brought your in this world and no one loves you more than her but by choosing the path you made a villain out of her. It will be difficult for her to carry her life as it was and without you.

I am speechless, not having any further words to express it. Feeling like, traveled to a place and lost my way forever. I cannot call it a suicide, it is a gruesome murder committed by the circumstances. Child, you need not say sorry to anybody, we are the one who should feel sorry as we failed to create a little space that you needed.

!!!Girl, I cannot say god bless you because god already committed the biggest blunder.!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment